Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I guess I'll start this Beast up

So thanks to our first fan (you know who you are!) for a "fab" topic suggestion.

The topic: Which gender is better, and why?

Well, I could take the easy road and say females are superior simply because I'm a member of that gender.

But who wants to take the easy road when you can travel down a path like Belle's father took in "Beauty and the Beast" when he was on his way to the invention show?

Of course, we all know he gets lost and was locked in the basement and was thereafter referred to as "Crazy Old Maurice." But that's besides the point.

Honestly, I don't think one gender is better than the other. Both have pros and cons. One needs the other to continue the circle of life.

IN GENERAL:
Boys are historically less dramatic than girls. Girls have a nurturing instinct that boys lack. Boys can determine the sex of a child. Girls can carry said child inside their womb. Boys tend to be more adventurous and don't give many things a second thought. (Interpret that as you wish.)

Despite all of those grossly generalized statements, I do think that girls have a disadvantage in the world. Society can continue to "equal opportunity" everything as much as they like, but the truth is that people will continue to think like they always have.

For example, I'm going into a field that apparently has a 10-inch thick glass ceiling. In other words, my career is supposed to be nothing but line jobs and technician work. I'm told I won't get to manage or become a VP of anything. Sucks doesn't it? What makes guys so much more competent and more deserving of upper-level positions? I don't know. No one knows, really. That's why there's still a glass ceiling.

But that's OK though. I'm gonna make like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and bust through that ceiling!

No comments: