Wednesday, October 22, 2008

People

So, every day when I go to school I have to park in a parking garage then ride the bus onto campus. So far I haven't been one of the unlucky ones who's had to run after the bus while flailing my arms and screaming. I've seen one guy do that though.

Most days I sit in the exact same seat; mainly because I need to be in a place where the sun won't distract me from playing Solitaire on my iPod. Also, I always sit on the window seat, that way when the bus gets crowded there is a perfectly good, and prime real estate might I add, seat next to me.

HERE'S what I don't understand. The bus makes about 86 stops before mine. It gets crowded pretty quickly. And what I've noticed is that people would rather stand and hold onto the bar than sit in a seat next to a stranger. I'm not talking about just me, I've seen it with other open seats too.

Trust me, I was getting worried.

Why is this? I mean, is it like when you go into a bathroom and you don't take the stall right next to one that's occupied? I don't get it. People aren't pooping on the bus.

What's really annoying is when the bus is super crowded and some ding-dong stands RIGHT beside an open seat and holds onto the railing, which then makes a line form and everyone gets uncomfortable.

Have we become so detached from each other that sitting next to someone we don't know on a bus has become a faux pas? Maybe. I think some people would rather stand it out than sit through 10 minutes of forced chit-chat. I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sit in the seat next to some kid on the bus when it's just the two of us on there. That's creepy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes omg yes.

...what if people ARE pooping on the bus? o.O


anyway, small as our campus is (I'll have you give you the grand tour someday), we have a bus, shuttle, if you will, and I observed this, too! Of course sometimes *I* was the douche. However, I had enough common sense that if I knew people were coming behind me, I would take the empty seat.

Personal space has just become such an issue these days, I think maybe just in America. My Spanish teacher would make fun of (North) Americans and tell us how people in Central/South/Latin America are very outgoing, friendly and have like...zero personal space.

Maybe we're all just afraid to sit next to someone because we're afraid we're gonna end up on the news somehow... :|

scruffie1399 said...

Hmmm mayyyybe so! And exactly, if I'm getting on the bus at a later stop, I'm gonna sit down or scrunch in because there'll be people coming in behind me. Especially after class gets out. I don't know, kids are weird sometimes.